 Technic / 16173
Re: Wheel design
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Sat, 19 Jan 2008 23:40:08 GMT

Geoffrey Hyde wrote:

I think what he's saying is that most car wheel hubs are designed so that
the centre of pivot for the wheel is around where the centre of the diameter
of the hub would be or very close to it.

If I'm interpreting right, I think what you are talking about is a way to make
things so that if the wheels are turned in a stationary vehicle, there is no
force to move the front end of the vehicle. The wheels turn around the spot
where the bottom center of the tire touches the ground.

The closest I've seen to that is on the 8880. To do it fully, you would need
an even larger hub, so that the pivoting mechanism could be right inside it.