 Technic / 16172
Re: Wheel design
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Sat, 19 Jan 2008 11:02:21 GMT

"mikeheide" <mikeheide@web.de> wrote in message
news:Juvytp.8M9@lugnet.com...
In lugnet.technic, Nathan Bell wrote:
Has TLC or any builder on the net ever come out with a wheel rim that
allows for
the swingarm to be the centroid of the tire?  It would make 4-wheel drive
systems, steering systems and suspensions so much better.

Sorry, but I do not understand what you are searching for!
Can you put a picture or sketch on the net so I can have a look at this?

I think what he's saying is that most car wheel hubs are designed so that
the centre of pivot for the wheel is around where the centre of the diameter
of the hub would be or very close to it.

Nearly all car and truck wheels have an offset so that the turning axis of
the wheel is centred such that the turning radius of the wheel is in line
with where the wheels are pointed, and not off to one side, which would make
the turn unbalanced and have the car lose traction/turning force.  LEGO
wheels, however, are not designed with this in mind.  I have not seen any
LEGO hubs specifically designed to the same tolerances as real-life hubs or
the same turning pivots as real-life hubs.

This may be due to the limitations of plastic injection molding and what is
best for strong plastic wheel hubs.

There are probably some older real-life wheel hubs which would not be
centred properly, however, most modern cars would have properly centred
wheel hubs so that the steering forces are transmitted correctly.

Cheers ...

Geoffrey Hyde