 Technic / 15566
Re: Chipper
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Thu, 15 Feb 2007 17:22:24 GMT

Here is a link to a chipper that is the most familiar to me. Worked on my
neighbors once. His help tried to run palm fronds through it. That does not
work well. Too much fiber

http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Bluffs/7900/img_2603.jpeg

Bob

Thanks for the link and the comments on the dump truck.  Mine will hopefully
have a straight path rather than diagonal, but that is the basic configuration.
The stationary cylinder in the pics that you may be refering to is a shock
absorber geared to a differential via a lever.

Since the motor starts instantaneously and the blade is heavy, there needs to be
some absorbtion of the static torque of the motor until the blade is rotating at
maximum RPM.  The module only shows a 1:5 gearing and a single shock absorber,
but a 1:10 gearing or lower could be used and possibly also a second shock
absorber. The differential will send the torque to whichever axle is easier to
turn. As the shock absorber(s) compress, the blade on the other axle can start
turning and increasing in RPMs.

Differentials have hundreds of good mechanical applications but clutches,
hydraulic drive systems or electric components are typically used for most of
those applications.