 Technic / 15558
Re: Chipper
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Mon, 12 Feb 2007 17:45:50 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Robert G Fay wrote:

"Nathan Bell" <Radarbell@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:JDBAE3.Fq6@lugnet.com...
Snyders and Hannover may be getting a new consumer!

(No more band-aids required)

Looks like you are making some real progress on this machine. I like your
design for the safety clutch and shut-down. I don't quite follow the chipper
mechanism. I hope you will post some pictures showing the path of the
pretzel. I understand the feed, but not the actual chipping. Keep up the
good work! Looking forward to the complete chipper.

Bob

Thanks Bob!

Sorry if the design is vague.  The back/top edge of the window piece has the
sharpest (Lego) edge I could find, considering that the chips in a real chipper
are supposed to be forced behind the blade and through the rotating wheel. The
bend in the window piece will hopefully push the pretzel fragments behind that
edge and up diagonally through the top of the rotating mechanism, where it will
be smacked around and up through the chute by the flat face of the opposing end
of the rotating mechanism.

The blade is just supposed to shear the end of the pretzel off.  Cutting the end
off would make the design too dangerous and just breaking the end off via a
simple collision would be too unrealistic and messy.  The old boat veights might
need to be added for momentum.

A 100% Lego design is the goal right now, and such a mechanism may or may not be
possible with just Legos.  If it is possible, then anyone who has the right
pieces can build it if I post enough pictures or can figure out how to make
instructions in LDraw.

A friend of mine has a Vermeer chipper that can shread an 18" dia. log, and if
putting a picture from the product manual on brickshelf is permissible by
Vermeer, I may ask to borrow his manual.

Just for the record, "Snyders OF Hannover" is a pretzel company, but "Snyders
AND Hannover is not"- my bad.

Nathan