 Technic / 15456
Re: Amazing new part!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Wed, 6 Dec 2006 10:42:17 GMT

In lugnet.technic, C. L. GunningCook wrote:
   In lugnet.technic, Steve Lane wrote:
   I’ve just stumbled across this post

http://news.lugnet.com/market/brickshops/?n=1674

and apparently the snow mobiles track is made up of a new track!

You can see it on this picture.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/LEGO-Technic-8272-Snow-Mobile/dp/images/B000HHJUSE

It appears to be five wide with two stud holes!

I wonder if it can withstand more load before snapping apart?

I’m stating the obvious but it’ll be great for crane and stuff.

Steve

Well that new “link”...

looks like its now the size of standard “bar” items... like these...

Can anyone confirm or deny that?

If so, I could see that part being used for much more, in many other builds, aside from just something that requires tread if it can clip on to many other parts.

A continuous track requires a hollow behind the bar in the horizontal plane to allow for idler gears or the sprocket, which would determine what you could connect too. You could of course attach parts that don’t meet these criteria to the ends though, like in a fork lift application. I don’t actually think you need much help in connecting things if you have an OXO Technic hole configuration to attach too.

Also, hard to tell on those pics but so the stud holes actually line up? Or are they offset? For example, could you stick a 1 by 3 plate on to it assuming the middle stud wasn’t in its way?

If the treads are five wide then standard hole positionings would seem logical to me.

Steve