 Technic / 14717
Re: 9V batery box (6 AA) - pressed too much
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Fri, 7 Oct 2005 13:43:26 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Chris Magno wrote:

has anyone found a more elegant way to hold down a battery box switch?

I wouldn't call it elegant, but it works. I used a pair of those egg shaped cams
set at right angles on the same shaft, one over each battery box button. With
both cams at 45 degs, neither button is pressed. With + and - 45 deg drive to
the shaft the battery box goes forward or reverse. I drove the shaft from a
motor with a 3:1 reduction using one of those white slipping clutch gears. The
shaft needs stops at + and - 45 so the mechanism comes to rest with either
button pressed. Since you know where the shaft has stopped, you can create a
little timed pulse to the motor to get back to the off position. I have seen
similar implementations which actually use a rubber band assisted centering bias
to get a more accurate off position.

The trick of course, is getting the cam shaft "just" the right height above the
buttons, but that's simply a matter of fiddling.

JB