 Technic / 14715
Re: 9V batery box (6 AA) - pressed too much
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Fri, 7 Oct 2005 10:10:30 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Chris Magno wrote:

At the last robot contest, I discovered that if I press down on either
side of the battery box red switch, the power stops.

It is hard to put into words.

If you hook up a motor to this battery box:

http://www.peeron.com/inv/parts/2847c01

and press the red button, the motor spins.

if you continue to apply pressure to that switch, the motor stops.

I've seen this now on 2 of my battery boxes.  Anyone else have this
problem, and know why?

I have taken apart one box, and I just cant see why this effect occurs.
  All that happens is that the button presss a bit of sprung steel into
a common bar. I dont understand why additional pressure stops it.

Thanks

Chris

The battery box switch is designed so that if you press on both sides at once,
nothing will happen.  The switch deliberately short circuits the motor output
when neither side is pressed.

If you have one side clicked 'on' and gently press the other side, it is
possible to get a simple open circuit, letting the motor float to a stop rather
than be shorted by the switch moving to the 'off' position.

I think it's part of the design that is meant to discourage rough handling by
the switches being over-pressed.

You can press gently to get a "go until released" function or you can press till
it clicks and get a "go until I press the other side" function, but if you press
harder continuously you get no power because it's not designed to be used that
way.

Mark