 Technic / 14673
Re: Crazy building moment?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Sun, 2 Oct 2005 12:41:27 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Øyvind Steinnes wrote:
   Ok, I think the most crazy building moment of mine is arriving soon :)

I’v already built a hoovercraft that worked, and had both lift and thrust on it. The steering was not so good, but that can be sorted out later. But I have broken the axel (the plastic) on the 4.5v motor, and that was one important part to get lift with only 9v batterybox. So now I’m going for something else when I try to repair the motor.

An airplane that works!

Has that been done already maybe? I now someone made an steering device for an kite glider. But an airplane?

This first atempt have to be an glider too since good working propellers in LEGO is hard to make. I have the first atempt for an wing almost finished. Pictures will be up later in the week.

Regards Øyvind Steinnes http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=Phoenix

I’m gonna revive this old thread since i’m currectly working on something like this. But i’m gonna use conventinal rc parts for power (ie motor, prop, servos) and make the rest of the plane Lego. I don’t know how “pure” this is and i don’t care. All i want is to make a plane made of mostly Lego fly.

I might be naive but i think it can work. I’ve only recently gone from Lego to rc therefor i don’t yet have a motor but i’ve at least began work on the plane.

My first design was a flying wing but after removing parts of the frame i made to create space for rudder i noticed that the wing would be to weak so i decided on a standard cessna like design. That’s as far as i’ve gotten since i don’t know how much work i can do before i need a motor.

After reading this thread i felt that’s it’s time to start again.

Now people here might have tried on small plane but i’m going big. The reason for that is that i ordered parts that will go to my other rc plane and i don’t want to order special ones just for this. I did get extra servos but reciever and stuff will be from the other plan. The other plane is a Multiplex Magister.

http://www.multiplexusa.com/product_fs.htm Click on models, sportflies and scroll down.

I plan on using some sort of plastic as wingcover. I first planned on using sandwish wrap but while reading this thread it struck me that it would to weak so i’m gonna use plastic bags instead. If anyone has any ideas on how to make rudder, please share them.