 Technic / 14658
  Re: Video of Cable Shovel In Action

(...) Works fine with QT6.5. Maybe you got a download problem? (I first downloaded the 40Mb file before playing it). Ben, this is a very impressive constuction, with fast and smooth movements. Congratulations! Philo (19 years ago, 30-Sep-05, to lugnet.technic)

  Re: Video of Cable Shovel In Action

(...) Works fine for me here too. It is impressive, but it is also one of the noisiest things I have seen in a while. One or two of those motors sound like they are a little stretched. Maybe it is encoded with a newer codec? -- (URL) - Build Robots (19 years ago, 30-Sep-05, to lugnet.technic)

  Re: Video of Cable Shovel In Action

If that's true I think some folder on brickshelf is missing about 35MB of file .... (19 years ago, 30-Sep-05, to lugnet.technic)

  Re: Video of Cable Shovel In Action

(...) Most of the noise is coming from the 'crowd', the part that pushes the bucket back and forth. It uses a bunch of 40, 24 and 8 tooth gears to do it's thing: (URL) And they make a ton of noise, the gears. The motors there do not have built-in (...) (19 years ago, 30-Sep-05, to lugnet.technic, FTX)

  Re: Video of Cable Shovel In Action

(...) Cool. Could you get less noise and a reduction in space using a worm gear? I seem to remember them being less efficient, but they would give good reduction, and should lower the noise considerably, although they may require placing motors (...) (19 years ago, 30-Sep-05, to lugnet.technic)

  Re: Video of Cable Shovel In Action

(...) I probably could reduce bulk and noise by using worm gears, but at the time I built that part of the machine I only owned two worms and I needed them in other places. The 'crowd' has two motors and transmissions and I had already used one worm (...) (19 years ago, 30-Sep-05, to lugnet.technic, FTX)

  Re: Video of Cable Shovel In Action

(...) Ah - understandable. I actually stocked up on them from bricklink, as I so often found them useful. I admit - I tend to agree with you on the noise making it "larger than life". Any chance of videos of the upgraded hoist then? One other thing (...) (19 years ago, 1-Oct-05, to lugnet.technic)

  Re: Video of Cable Shovel In Action

(...) Re: control, I am using switches and a project box that I purchased at radioshack. Unfortunately this does not allow for proportional control of machine functions, it is bang-bang. You can see the tethered remote in the first two pictures in (...) (19 years ago, 3-Oct-05, to lugnet.technic, FTX)

  Re: Video of Cable Shovel In Action

(...) Ah - now you have pointed it out I see it. I am not a Lego only evangelist, but there is scope for it to be replaced with some Pole Reverser switches and a Lego frame. I am wandering if an RCX could be used with it, to automate it for fun. I (...) (19 years ago, 4-Oct-05, to lugnet.technic)