 Technic / 1396
  micro motor jam

Hey all, Anyone notice a problem with the little red motors jamming? Working on a project of mine, I found that if it runs one way, until it cannot move any more, it can't back up either - I have to push it manually, then it can move again. Is it (...) (24 years ago, 13-Apr-00, to lugnet.technic)

  Re: micro motor jam

"Dan Boger" <dan@giccs.georgetown.edu> wrote in message news:Fsxqsq.1v5@lugnet.com... (...) a (...) move (...) to (...) I think that is a common problem. The solution is to prevent it stalling by using rubber bands or similar on the output. Huw (24 years ago, 13-Apr-00, to lugnet.technic)

  RE: micro motor jam

(...) Yep. It's a common problem. I have 3 of them and they all tend to fail this way. Be careful that you don't actually JAM the motor. Ther is a little thermal cutoff that you can actually hear clicking when the motor is overloaded. It might take (...) (24 years ago, 13-Apr-00, to lugnet.technic)

  Re: micro motor jam

(...) When I took a jammed micromotor apart, I could not find any thermal cutoff circuitry at all. What I did find was that the internal gears use very small teeth, but there was enough freeplay in the gears' rotational axis that it was easy to get (...) (24 years ago, 13-Apr-00, to lugnet.technic)

  Re: micro motor jam

(...) gears (...) I haven't taken my micromotor all the way apart, just popped the face off. But from my cursory investigation it appears that the micromotors use an unusual arrangement of gears, which I think is called a planetary gear. As far as (...) (24 years ago, 16-Apr-00, to lugnet.technic)

  Re: micro motor jam

(...) Yeah, I think they should be called planetary gears too, but I am just about as sure as you are... The gears are supposed to move in a certain fashion, but their fit is so loose that it is easy for the teeth of the gears to step on top of each (...) (24 years ago, 16-Apr-00, to lugnet.technic)

  Re: micro motor jam

(...) Nope, I'm wrong. Turns out a planetary gear arrangement is a sort of coaxial non-reversing gear reduction thingy good for high torque applications and resistant to skipping... um, well there's a diagram of one at (URL) near the bottom of the (...) (24 years ago, 18-Apr-00, to lugnet.technic)