 Technic / 13890
Re: Sizing for to-scale large vehicles??
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic, lugnet.build
Date:
Mon, 7 Mar 2005 06:03:28 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Keith Hui wrote:
   Hi guys,

I have started building a 1:16 model of the Orion VII transit bus (something I have not seen done so far).

I took the dimensions data from the Orion Bus site, calculated the scaled dimensions in studs as so:

Length
   94 studs (75cm)
   Wheelbase
   56 studs

Height
   22 bricks
   Front overhang
   17 studs

Width
   20 studs
   Rear overhang
   23 studs

Floor height
   2 2/3 bricks (That’s low floor!)

Then I built a frame to approximate the dimensions given (94 studs, about 75cm), spaced things out accordingly, but it ends up looking like the wheelbase is too long.

Am I missing something in my calculations? And how do you guys that have built 1:13 trucks before, determine the size of your models?

Any help is appreciated.

Keith

Good evening Keith,

First of all, the MOC sounds, well, very big!And very impressive! I would love to see it as it is right now. I have the technic trucks that are on brickshelf. I posted the tanker complete article a few days ago on Lugnet.Check it out if you like. So! the best way that I could help you out would be for you to either post a photo on Lugnet or Brickshelf, or you can send it to me directly. Frankly, I have no idea(!) what the MOC’s that I create are in scale but would be more than happy to chat. One thought I do have, and that is that I have 90% of the time started to build from the frame INCLUDING putting the tires on first, then the main structure. That is how I base the size of the cabs, fuel tanks, fenders, bumber...ect by how big and how much space I need for tire movement and how long the main frame should be as well as width and length of the trailers. Look forward to hearing from you. Glen Bell