 Technic / 13899
Re: Sizing for to-scale large vehicles??
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic, lugnet.build
Date:
Mon, 7 Mar 2005 21:50:38 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Keith Hui wrote:
   Hi guys,

I have started building a 1:16 model of the Orion VII transit bus (something I have not seen done so far).

I took the dimensions data from the Orion Bus site, calculated the scaled dimensions in studs as so:

Length
   94 studs (75cm)
   Wheelbase
   56 studs

Height
   22 bricks
   Front overhang
   17 studs

Width
   20 studs
   Rear overhang
   23 studs

Floor height
   2 2/3 bricks (That’s low floor!)

Then I built a frame to approximate the dimensions given (94 studs, about 75cm), spaced things out accordingly, but it ends up looking like the wheelbase is too long.

Am I missing something in my calculations? And how do you guys that have built 1:13 trucks before, determine the size of your models?

Any help is appreciated.

Keith

Hello

I really have now idea about us messuarements, but my guess ended up with 68.8x24s wheels from the black cat or 5563. Since alot of people have used those for 1/16 scaled models before. (1/15) Your calculations seem slight out focus 94 studs -56 studs (wheelbase) -23 studs (rear overhang) -17 studs (front overhang) --------------------------- =96 studs (total studs)

My best tips would be to use cm, and use them with some tolerance, and accept that some differences. Also to double check lengths, etc etc, take your total lenght - wheelbase - overhangs and compare to total lenght, and if thats goes out to 0, than its correct. Looking forward to the finalresult! Good luck to you. Also I would guess that its easier to scale a model to the wheels, rather then find an interresting scale, to discover that there isn’t any wheels aviable.

regards www.modellbygg.com