 Technic / 13876
Re: Crane Steering
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Fri, 4 Mar 2005 16:14:45 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Ross Crawford wrote:

Jan-tore, my mention of computers was in direct response to the mention of the
self-propelled transporters. I also would not be surprised if many modern
multi-axle mobile cranes use a similar system, but I have no information on
that.

I have had a demonstration of the 6 wheel steering on a Demag AC50-1, and while
I did not see the workings in detail, it would appear that each axle could be
controlled independently, switching between modes electronically. To my mind
this suggested some form of microprocessor control. The suspension on many
cranes can also be raised and lowered, and outriggers self level, again probably
(although not necessarily) implying microprocessor control.

When I think about it, modern AT cranes have microprocessors involved just about
everywhere, so I would be surprised if they were not in these components.

Jennifer