 Technic / 13866
Re: New Lego 8653 Enzo Ferrari detailed Pics inside!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Thu, 3 Mar 2005 05:04:48 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

In lugnet.technic, Paul Boratko wrote:
   To be honest, I am certain that whomever designs the technic
   cars/bikes/cranes and such has the potential to build “The Best Supercar of the Decade”, but I don’t know what kind of pressure that they may be under,
as >far as piece count, difficulty, and such that they may be under, so I am sure >that it isn’t their fault.

Hey Paul,

Like you, I’m a big fan of LEGO Technic and their supercars (I own them all). BTW, great job on your Enzo model - love your suspension design ! I share your disappointment over the lack of suspension and transmission on this Enzo - just like on the 8386 1:10 F1 Ferrari. To me, this new ENZO is NOT the next supercar. I’m still waiting.

But I think you’re right on the money when you say “don’t know what kind of pressure (the LEGO designers) may be under”. As we all know, LEGO isn’t doing well financially, and I’m sure the Ferrari license wasn’t cheap either. While a lot of us would love to spend $200+ on a proper supercar, I think the LEGO marketing/management coulnd’t come up with a business case for such a model. Look at the Technic models recently - they’ve gone down in features and price. Plus, sets like the 8466 off-roader (an almost supercar in my book) and the 7471 technic Mars Rover didn’t sell very well I think - so maybe the overall market for large Technic sets is shrinking too ??? Unfortunately, marketing people and NOT engineers decide what kind of sets are needed.

I’m not a fan of the recent LEGO licensing for this reason: we get models with fewer technical features, relatively expensive, but with the “FERRARI” logo. Big deal! Give me suspension/transmission/4WD/whatever instead of the name. Look at the forthcoming Technic crane - looks like it’s going to be expensive, but also have lots of good technical features never seen before (3-piece telescopic boom comes to mind). And no license to pay either!

So, I’m more excited about the crane, although I’ll still buy an ENZO.

   But I bet that one week after I get my Enzos, I bet that I can at least get a nice suspension and fix the front wheel wells and dummy steering wheel in the 8653 car.

Yup, that’s my plan as well. After all, that’s what LEGO is all about, right? Don’t like the original set, then change it!!! :)

   And as far as Prices go, Here is Lego’s next big thing for $300.00

http://shop.lego.com/product.asp?p=10143&cn=8&d=5&t=3

I LOVE Star Wars, but there IS no wat in hell that I would buy that.

Yeah, me neither, but remember that every star wars fan that buys it puts money in LEGO’s pocket, so they can develop that next supercar :) Maybe they’ll introduce UCS Technic sets for people like us after the SW license ???

   A base car in 4 or 5 different colors. with transmission, suspension, nice steering system.(For $125.00 to $150.00)

One number: 8448. To me, that is the most beautiful and functional supercar that LEGO has ever designed. And those wheels.... drooooooooool..... If you can find one somewhere, GET IT !!! Worth every penny.

BTW, this is something I built a while back using 8448 parts: Lotus Super 7.

Sorry about the longish rant, but like Paul, I love cars and I love LEGO.

build well

John