 Technic / 13666
Re: Looking for a one-way motor drive mechanism that is foolproof.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Tue, 1 Feb 2005 14:42:07 GMT

On Tue, 1 Feb 2005 11:49:19 GMT, Brian Davis <brdavis@iusb.edu> wrote:
In lugnet.technic, Geoffrey Hyde wrote:

I want to drive a conveyor belt which will be feeding items from a hopper,
however, I want to make a small mechanism which will, if the motor is
switched on with it's output shaft spinning in the wrong direction,
automatically turn the spin around to the right direction through a
reversing gear arrangement.

   Off the top of my head I can think of two ways, neither completely compact.
One is to use the sliding worm gear trick, and take the two outputs and connect
them to the belt in such a way so that if output A is engaged it drives the belt
forward, while if output B is engaged it... drives the belt forward. This has
the downside if gearing down a lot, but it should work. You could also do this
with a differential rachet splitter and a torque-limiting gear or two, but it
would be bulkier.

Here http://www.baumfamily.org/lego/creations/dirtrans/  is one
compact arrangement using the sliding worm gear that should do the
trick. Just connect the output shafts with two 16t gears and I think
they will work the way you want...or if one is still going backwards,
use three 8t (one idler) to change the direction...(worm gears always
always confuse me...)

-Rob A>