 Technic / 13664
Re: Looking for a one-way motor drive mechanism that is foolproof.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Tue, 1 Feb 2005 14:02:05 GMT

  Off the top of my head I can think of two ways, neither completely
compact.
One is to use the sliding worm gear trick, and take the two outputs and
connect
them to the belt in such a way so that if output A is engaged it drives
the belt
forward, while if output B is engaged it... drives the belt forward. This
has
the downside if gearing down a lot, but it should work. You could also do
this
with a differential rachet splitter and a torque-limiting gear or two, but
it
would be bulkier.

I also wonder if a differential couldn't work somehow?

While the differential sounds like a good idea, I'm not sure that will actually work
well, either.

Assuming you want axle 'A' on the conveyor belt to always drive forward, you can
connect a motor to a differential.  The diff. will have two outputs, '1' & '2'.
Output 1 would be connected to drive A when the motor goes forward, and output 2
would drive a when the motor goes backward.

However, when you drive the motor backward, 2 will (correctly) be driving A forward,
while 1 is trying to drive A backward.

So, each output would also need a ratchet.  Actually, at that point, you can
eliminate the Diff.

It's not a simple matter of splitting an output.  You also have to combine it back
together.  Actually, you should be able to do it with two differentials, one to
split, one to combine.

One other suggestion would be for you to consider IF the belt actually needs to run
at all, if it's driven backwards.  If this is all just for safety, you really just
need some way to prevent it from running backwards, when reverse power is applied.

Steve