 Technic / 13661
Re: Looking for a one-way motor drive mechanism that is foolproof.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Tue, 1 Feb 2005 11:49:19 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Geoffrey Hyde wrote:

I want to drive a conveyor belt which will be feeding items from a hopper,
however, I want to make a small mechanism which will, if the motor is
switched on with it's output shaft spinning in the wrong direction,
automatically turn the spin around to the right direction through a
reversing gear arrangement.

   Off the top of my head I can think of two ways, neither completely compact.
One is to use the sliding worm gear trick, and take the two outputs and connect
them to the belt in such a way so that if output A is engaged it drives the belt
forward, while if output B is engaged it... drives the belt forward. This has
the downside if gearing down a lot, but it should work. You could also do this
with a differential rachet splitter and a torque-limiting gear or two, but it
would be bulkier.

I am hoping it can be as simple as a gear that
gets driven around another gear until it
starts going the right way.

   I'm not exactly clear on your idea here, but it presents a third way -
central drive gear engages a second gear that can perform a half-orbit around
the central gear. If the drive gear rotates CW, the second gear (with a little
bit of shaft friction) on it's pivoting frame swings around CW with it until it
hits a stop. With the frame blocked, the small gear acts as a idler between the
drive gear and the output on the right. Similarly reversing the drive gear
swings the idler gear around to the other side, where it hits a stop and acts as
the idler gear on a 2nd drivetrain, which you can invert so it's output matches
the first drive train.
   There may be more compact ways, but I'm not thinking of them at this point in
the morning.

   Why do you need it?

--
Brian Davis