 Technic / 13583
Re: Paul's Ferrari
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Sat, 22 Jan 2005 02:47:04 GMT

Thanks for making a thread for the car Nathan. That was very cool of you!

The car has many nice features and I am pretty happy with how it turned out. I
still will probably make some changes here and there, nothing major.

Here are the weak points in the car's design:

1.) The Wheels were too wide to properly execute the correct dimensions that I
was hoping to achieve.

2.) The real Enzo Ferrari DOES NOT have a standard 6 speed transmission, it has
a semi-automatic 6 speed tranny. This posed as a problem because there was no
way that I could build that type of tranny, so I used a similar design to the
Corvette tranny that I did before. I figured a 6 speed tranny with reverse is
better than no transmission.

3.) The transmission is very wide, but not too wide to take away from the
overall appearance of the car, and besides it is so neat to have a functional 6
speed with a working reverse gear.

4.) The engine cylinder blocks are too large for this model, so I had to
accomodate some of the engine into the cockpit. It's not really even that big

The shift pattern is as follows:

1 3 5 R
2 4 6

The suspension is probably the best feature in the car. When I was building it,
I had my doubts along the way if it was possible or not. Evidently it was.

The doors open like the real Enzo and lock into place. I wanted to use 10l
damped shocks, but my design did not work well enough, so I switched to this
design.

I tried to hit most of the points that the real Enzo has to keep it realistic.

I have never seen a real Enzo with tan leather interior, but I always wanted to
do a car with tan interior, so I did it on this model. And besides, I am sure if
you have $1,000,000 to spend on a car, you could probably get the interior in
pink and purple if you really wanted.

This custom model has over 2000 pieces, maybe 2500.

I am sure that I will buy 2 or 3 of Lego's new Technic Enzo 8653 sets when it
comes out, but with this custom model, I think that I proved a point.

Nathan, if it were not for you "Challenging" me to do this car, I probably never
would have.

I thank you for that. :)

As far as what is next, I really don't know. I'd really like to do something
with Misha Van Beek and Nathanael Kuipers. Those guys are awesome builders and
great friends and really inspired me quite alot.

Hopefully one day I will get to meet them.

Thanks to everyone around the world for their complements and positive praise
along the way. You helped me make it happen!

-Paul Boratko