 Technic / 13555
Re: Why Technic Pin 1/2 (part #4274) blue ?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.color, lugnet.parts, lugnet.technic, lugnet.dear-lego
Date:
Wed, 19 Jan 2005 12:47:02 GMT

In lugnet.color, Jennifer Clark wrote:

"Steve Dunn" <s%te#ven.j&.du?nn*@te%am#.t&els*tr$a.c?om> wrote in message

pieces so far produced in only one colour (excluding the grey varient);
3/4 pins
axels 3 long with stud

I have some of these in white... very handy too.

Not such a matter when these components were used mainly within a model.
With the evolution of construction, the intro of studless beams, these peices
not often used on a models exterior are now more prevalent and more
obvious.

Agreed, I like the variety of colour that this has introduced, but do not
like
it when the colour clashes with the exterior scheme of a model. My greatest
bugbear is the blue axle pin with friction; IMHO the black one is usually
superior, but was not available for long in any quantity before the blue was
introduced, and therefore my collection of them is not huge. In contrast I
have many, many 1/2 pins in the (old) standard grey, so it is not so much of
a problem.

In conclusion, I like the variety of colour, but not the exclusivity of it.

I completely agree with Jennifer's statement, we like the colours when it suits
us, but not when it doesn't.

Unlike bley, I think this is a problem that only creeps slowly into the minds of
technic builders as we can slowly deplete our stocks of grey connectors. Only
when these parts run out will the scale of the problem be apparant.

I think a good solution would be to revert to the old colors, but keep the new
colours in the instrution manuals. You could then have a legend showing the
coloured instrution part compared with the physical old-coloured part. This way
you'd still have the advantage of clearly identifying which part was which
during building but the finished model would not have the annoying odd part
standing out in an inappropriate colour.

I believe that connectors etc should be in the neutral grey or black colour.
Actually any colours fine as long as it matches the model's colour scheme or is
neutral. It's just the strict colour coding on single parts that I disagree
with. The more colours the better.

If we were going to do anything about it I'd suggest we do it now. The only
option available to us seems to be to try and tack onto the "bley issue"
petition letter that is going to be sent to the CEO of Lego. If .Technic as a
group wanted to do this, we would first have to decide exactly what it is that
we wanted.

Steve