 Color / 817
Re: Why Technic Pin 1/2 (part #4274) blue ?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.color, lugnet.parts, lugnet.technic
Date:
Wed, 19 Jan 2005 02:09:30 GMT

half pins blue
frictionless axle pins tan
axle pins with friction blue
odd length axles grey
even length axles black
etc

pieces so far produced in only one colour (excluding the grey varient);
3/4 pins
axels 3 long with stud
16 tooth gear with clutch
differentials
etc

This dates back years with the introduction of friction pins black.
Axles were always black.
Gears were always grey.

Not such a matter when these components were used mainly within a model.
With the evolution of construction, the intro of studless beams, these peices
not often used on a models exterior are now more prevalent and more obvious.

We all own proof that LEGO can produce (almost)any part in (almost) any colour;
red axles in 8448, white in the space shuttle are "great examples of what can be
done to compliment the colour scheme".
coloured gears from slizers
technic bushes in black, white and yellow on the 8435.

I dislike building a set (that may have taken designers months to complete) that
has cosmetic flaws such as an exposed piece that is of a colour which is
inconsistent with the sets overall scheme just so that peices can be easily
identified.
I belive the designers must be frustrated working with this limitation.
I have 20-20 but have difficulty differentiating black from dark stone from
instructions, (a side issue) black is somewhat lighter than dark stone ?

To me, this is an issue as large as the bley debate. For technic heads i believe
the matter can be resolved simmillarly to the studless matter.
A happy combination of both components such as 8466, 8461 and soon 8421.

With peices being packaged as per contruction progress, i feel the components
contructing the body or shell of a set (particularly axle pins and axles) could
be of a set colour scheme as opposed to the current standards.

We all know LEGO can do it, I only dream of the comprimise.

By the way, if any body has an opinion on the matter i would love to hear it as
i think i may be alone on what may be considdered an insignificant issue.