 Technic / 12955
Re: first pics of crane
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Thu, 29 Jul 2004 00:41:45 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Jennifer Clark wrote:
In lugnet.technic, Ross Crawford wrote:

Yummy. One thing I'd like to look at one day is the possibility of using a
leadscrew arrangement and locks inside the boom like most cranes use these days,
so that each section can be extended individually. But that is probably a
pipe-dream...

I really like the system you mention, it is a really elegant solution. It also
appears to allow more telescoping sections, presumably to due not having
additional complexity with each added section, unlike a cable driven section,
and perhaps less mass since there are no cables. I would imagine you would
really need an RCX for this though, since the boom sequencing could get pretty
complex to do manually.

From what I saw on the AC100
http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=25642 the operator just dialed
in the length they wanted, and the pooter chose the position of each section (in
that case it was fully extended anyway so not a difficult calculation). Each
section had (IIRC) 3 different locked positions.

With a LEGO model I think it would be possible to do fairly simply, the biggest
problem would be finding the room inside the boom for the locking mechanism.

Are you sure they use a leadscrew as opposed to hydraulics though? I thought I
saw a leadscrew used on the Demag AC60 city crane at one point, but after
thinking about it I wasn't sure if this was used for boom extension of pinning
each section.

LOL no not sure at all - in fact I'm pretty sure most (if not all) use
hydraulics, I was sorta mixing real life with LEGO restrictions.

The downside to this system is that the innermost section needs to be hollow and
large enough to fit the cylinder/leadscrew through the centre. That would mean a
cross-section at least 4 studs I would think. That's gonna make the whole
assembly very big if you wanna do several sections.

You could possibly run the leadscrew through a line of 1x2 technic bricks, but
that would result in a weaker section, and you still need to have some way to
lock it.

But I'd love to see what you can come up with ;)

ROSCO