 Technic / 12954
Re: first pics of crane
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Wed, 28 Jul 2004 23:45:49 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Ross Crawford wrote:

Yummy. One thing I'd like to look at one day is the possibility of using a
leadscrew arrangement and locks inside the boom like most cranes use these days,
so that each section can be extended individually. But that is probably a
pipe-dream...

I really like the system you mention, it is a really elegant solution. It also
appears to allow more telescoping sections, presumably to due not having
additional complexity with each added section, unlike a cable driven section,
and perhaps less mass since there are no cables. I would imagine you would
really need an RCX for this though, since the boom sequencing could get pretty
complex to do manually.

Are you sure they use a leadscrew as opposed to hydraulics though? I thought I
saw a leadscrew used on the Demag AC60 city crane at one point, but after
thinking about it I wasn't sure if this was used for boom extension of pinning
each section.

Jennifer