 Technic / 12807
Re: MOC: DEMAG CC2800 Crawler Crane - Stage 1 complete
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic, lugnet.modelteam
Date:
Fri, 18 Jun 2004 16:43:06 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Ross Crawford wrote:
I haven't had to glue anything yet. But I've only attempted a small boom so
far! You can see in this picture
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/RoscoHead/construction/cc2800/winches1.jpg
how I joined the 40 tooth gears on the winch, basically copied
from Bob Kojima's ringer crane (http://news.lugnet.com/technic/?n=12046). The
disadvantage of this technique is that the spool is not cylindrical, so it
winds unevenly, but it's not too bad.

I first used this method in my marine pedestal crane:
http://www.texbrick.com/creations/marine_crane/winch.jpg

This winch was used for the 16-part main block.
http://www.texbrick.com/creations/marine_crane/mc6.jpg

It was powerful enough to lift 48 pounds!

Linking the two 40-toothed gears together with axles works very well. It is a
bit uneven (i.e. square cross-section spool), but if you wrap up several layers
of line, the squareness tends to smooth out a bit.

-TJ