 Technic / 12781
Re: MOC: DEMAG CC2800 Crawler Crane - Stage 1 complete
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic, lugnet.modelteam
Date:
Thu, 10 Jun 2004 19:39:15 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Ross Crawford wrote:
   Hi all,

   For those that haven’t been following along with the pics on Brickshelf, I’d like to present my latest MOC, a (approximately) 1:13 scale model of a DEMAG CC2800 crawler crane.

Future stages will attempt to model 2 different boom configurations.

I will be posting a time-lapse of the setup process in the next few days.

Enjoy!

ROSCO

AWESOME!! This is HUGE!

I’m following the progress of your project since the first pictures.

When I saw the discription of your model above I thought: “This guy is crazy! He will never manage to build a 1:13 scale CC2880!” Now I’ve really changed my mind :) The crane is not just big it looks great and accurate as well. My compliments! The green superstructure gives the crane a nice look. Most model cranes are red or yellow. It’s the first time I saw a green one. You must have bought lots of new pieces. And are most of the pieces also available in green? I can image you have to find other solutions for specific parts of the shape. I’m curious about that because I have less green pieces.

I was very pleased when I saw the swing out mechanism of the operator’s cabin. The arm is four studs wide so it seems strong enough to carry the cabin’s weight. The cylinders to incline it to the back are a nice feature, well done!

And it is really posible to drive with it? I mean, the crane is huge so it must weight a lot! I couldn’t be truth. I built a dragline recently. This machine has a real working undercarriage: both tracks are driven by a 9V motor each. First I tried it with the geared ones but those were not powerfull enough. It drives very well but the crane should be heavier. I still have to make some pictures (I have less time unfortunately ...). I have to put it on the net soon.

There’s one tip I can give you. I saw you used 48 teeth gears for the drumms. My experience is the gears (or whatever) will slide when there’s a lot of stress on them. The motors needs more and more power to lift the main boom for example. The gears will touch the inside of the superstructure.

I used webbed radar dishes instead of large gears. Because of the stress on the cable I glued 2x2 round bricks on both edges of the Technic axle. It’s a shame I know but this is the only solution when you don’t want to use other materials than LEGO.

And I was wondering how many metres of ropes you need :)

Best regards,

Dennis Bosman

http://fly.to/bosman