 Technic / 12628
Re: Shay Chassis (Uni Joint Mods for Trains)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic, lugnet.trains
Date:
Tue, 11 May 2004 19:12:35 GMT

The 9V motor wheel flanges are quite soft to the touch - softer metal than • the
track.  Coating a couple of BBB wheels in conductive paint might work, but
they'd melt if you applied molten metal.  I saw single motor wheels • advertised
on Bricklink, but we really need the pickup wheels to also be the driving
wheels.

Maybe a plaster mold could be made to pour liquid metal into.  I was
actually thinking someone with a milling machine could step in for the
challenge of producing a metal one.

You could do worse than using a 3482 wheel hub with tin-foil stuck on it • and a
contact resting on the top!  That's no worse than using sellotape as an
insulator between 9V track pieces to create isolating sections - it • actually
avoids a mod!  However, we're getting too close to the problems railway
modellers have with pickups and tolerances on metal parts.

I have a roll of that tape just for that reason although I never finished
it.

I say motor(s) because you'll probably need two, due to the reduced torque • per
motor at low speed and the fact that a lot of our 9V locos have two train
motors, due to the power required.  Ideally the Shay would move at a • similar
speed to a train motor at a given voltage, and would normally operate on • 1st
notch on a 9V controller (20mph or so).

You might get away with one motor if you go with the newer motor from the RC
car line.  These cars are CHEAP at Radio Shack right now.  Very torquey...

Another problem is traction though.  The 9V train motor has rubber tyres • and BBB
wheels don't.  You could apply a rubber coating of some kind as long as • you can
do it evenly (whilst rotating the wheel?) and without damaging the • plastic.  I
wonder if bicycle puncture repair rubber solution would work?  Does anyone • know
if it would damage the plastic?

Cut a groove in some of Ben's wheels to accept an o-ring or rubber band
similar as the the style of the current traction wheel.

-bm
www.brickmodder.net