 Technic / 12604
Re: Shay Chassis (Uni Joint Mods for Trains)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic, lugnet.trains
Date:
Sun, 9 May 2004 19:38:23 GMT

Today I took one of my 1.5L axles (cut down from a 5L into 3.5L + 1.5L), • cut off
a further 0.25L to give 1.25L and filed 0.5L of the length down to 1/8" • wide,
using a coarse needle file, with the axle in a fast motor powered by a 9V • train
controller (my Lego lathe!!!).  The result is a 1.25L axle with 0.5L of • flex
tube profile that fits into the hole in the uni joint that I drilled out • to
1/8".  This round bit gives more support to the axle.  When you put • together the
modified uni joint, the new axle, a 0.25L bush (made by cutting a small • pulley
in half (bzzzzzzzz! Rob)) and a 24mm pulley, the whole thing is 4L long, • so I've
saved 0.5L of length each time.  The 0.25L bush is there to stop other • parts
binding when the uni joints turn to their maximum.

Show pics!  I love a good hack!

--
-Rob
www.brickmodder.net