 Technic / 12587
Re: Universal Joint Modifications for Train Applications
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Sat, 8 May 2004 22:31:56 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Ross Crawford wrote:
In lugnet.technic, Mark Bellis wrote:
Has anyone modified a universal joint?  Was your modified part successful?

Mark,

I have also been looking at a Shay, but encountered the same problems and put it
on hold for a while to let it percolate. I even tried a sliding joint with
square tubing, with some success. But I never got around the length of the
universal joints. I experimented with the CV joints in the 4x4 set, but the
diameter is too large. Let us know how the mods go - Ben's new train wheels make
for great possibilities :)

ROSCO

Square tubing?  Is that using Lego pieces?  Or is it Plastruct (styrene) that is
similar to flex tubing but square?  I noticed that at model railway shows.  I
tried to think of Lego pieces that would fit the bill, seeing as the real engine
uses a square shaft and tube.  The first obvious thing to try was a suspension
spring without the spring, but this is too long and doesn't have sufficient
travel.  I'm on 24mm pulleys with 3L+stud dark grey pins, which works, but is as
wider than CV joints!

The new CV joints from the 4x4 need some means of holding the two parts
together, and there isn't the space for that on the engine.  They're also little
shorter than uni joints, though the 3 pins ont he black part could go into a
24mm pulley, which could have extension pins in the other 3 holes.

That's how I arrived at modifying broken uni joints.

Whatever happens I'll never get the transmission shaft as short as 5L, which is
what it would be to scale, but I want it to work and at least have the 3
cylinders moving, even if there isn't room for the valve gear.

Mark