 Technic / 12282
Re: Advice from crane builders (was: Blimey)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Mon, 5 Apr 2004 10:10:36 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Ross Crawford wrote:

   I was aiming to be able to lift the a-frame mechanically, but so far have found no solution. I would have liked to use pneumatics, but with the a-frame being about 90 studs long, and weighing in about 400g, I just can’t find a way to get the required pushing power. I’ve also tried some mechanical lifting mechanisms, so far without luck.

Most real cranes ose hydraulics, you can just see the green lifters in this pic. Note this function is only required when setting up and packing up - while the a-frame is connected to the boom or derrick, the cable is all that’s required.

So my question is this: Do you think it is a cop-out to use the Hand Of God for lifting the a-frame? I think all the big LEGO cranes I’ve ever seen utilise the HOG, but can anyone think of a solution that isn’t likely to pull the whole crane apart?

Any advice welcome :)

Well on my crane I went straight for the HOG approach, I didn’t actually find out how the A frame was raised on the prototype until after completion. I did consider retrofitting a solution but the prototype utilised a big fat multi telescopic cylinder and Lego don’t make big fat multi-telescopic cylinders, unfortunately, So I’d say the Hog approach was more than justified in this situation.

The lifting from the wrong end problem is, I think, one of the hardest challenges to overcome in Lego.

I do have one cheeky idea, you could add a ‘B’ frame to help lift the ‘A’ frame :-)

Steve