 Technic / 11975
Re: A snow remover machine.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Sun, 18 Jan 2004 03:19:53 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Øyvind Steinnes wrote:
I'm living in a country that has many month of winter trough the year and
want to build something that uses some of the resources around me.

I'm trying to make a snowblower / motor snowplow that works, but have a hard
time making the "screws" that transport the snow into the fan that trows the
snow out and up. Anybody that has any ideas of how to make this screws?

http://www.peeron.com/inv/parts/44374

Using that piece in the four possible different allignments, you can place
TECHNIC rotor blades at twelve different angles around the central core of the
screw.  Unstrengthened stud-only connections don't sound like they're going to
be sturdy enough to handle rough work like gobbling snow up, but TECHNIC pieces
might give you the grip you're looking for.

Another possibility might be to rework your existing design with 2x6 TECHNIC
plates radiating out from the core, linking them together with the 1x4 hinge
plates, and filling in the gaps between TECHNIC plates with tiles.  The first
problem with that idea is figuring out how to lock the screw around the central
axle without interfering with the next TECHNIC plate.  You might have to space
your blade sections apart by another plate's thickness to allow you to lock them
into position.  The other problem that you'll have is that your radial spacing
will be thrown off by half a stud, which is going to affect how many degrees
there are between each blade section.

Anyways, that should at least give you some new ideas to work with.