 Technic / 1184
Re: Question about 8448 supercar
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Sun, 27 Feb 2000 01:07:30 GMT

Regarding your comments and suggestions, I think I'll just pass on the Hot
Rod for now.  I might "taint" it (ugh, the thought makes me shiver...) with
another new set later on if the urge moves me.  Thanks anyway.

Dan

----- Original Message -----
From: "John Cromer" <cro@astro.caltech.edu>
To: <>
Sent: Saturday, February 26, 2000 5:26 PM
Subject: Re: Question about 8448 supercar

In lugnet.technic, Dan Huber writes:
[SNIP]

I'm also very picky about sets like these, the ones I've deemed the • honored
models in my meager collection (well, not that small, but puny compared • to
the Lego giants of our day), and I WILL NOT mix parts in to get the • desired
piece; I'm just that way.  A set of this perfection need not be tainted • with
lower-class pieces (yeah, it is sick, huh?) and the newest "headlights" • I've
got that would go here are the ones that fit on that one $9 Technic dune
buggy thing that was black and yellow and had a single piston that fired
front-to-back behind the seat in the back of the car.  It had a little • roll
cage too built of simple half beams and axles.  It's one of the four sets
I've ever owned that had functioning pistons (I've had the Shock Cycle, • that
Dune Buggy or Blaster or whatever it is, the Rebel Wrecker, and my • beloved
Super Street Sensation), hence the reason I bought it.

Well, anyway, enough ranting.  What ideas have come to mind from similar
users/builders/fanatics/perfectionists to overcome this problem?  Just
wondering what the rest of the supercar world had to say about this. • Thanks
for your time.

Er, uh, well, Dan, it seems you've painted yourself into an idealogical
corner, so to speak.  If you only have 2 round white tiles and you need
4, and you can't use any from any other set due to contamination,
there is only one solution:  You must buy another 8448!

Well, only one honest solution.  You could write to Consumer Affairs,
claim you lost the parts and ask for replacements, but I guess that's
out of the question now because they'll read this and be on the lookout
for you!

If you could possible risk a little "taint," you might be able to
get a couple of these tiles in the upcoming Auczilla, but, of course,
they would be from another set.  This is not a timely solution either.

You could wait for Lego Direct, maybe order 1000 of them.
:^)

I apologise for making light of your dilemma.

I'm actually kind of serious about buying a duplicate copy.  I often get
at least 2 copies of a given set for the very reason you've indicated:
it pretty much guarantees I'll have plenty of parts to experiment with for
new/alternate models. Good luck ....

as evah,

John C.