 Technic / 1180
1179  |  1181
Subject:
Question about 8448 supercar
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Sat, 26 Feb 2000 19:08:03 GMT

QNews - March 2000 - Quantex Microsystems, Inc. - 1-800-419-4011Has anyone
attempted to build their 8448 as one of the alternate models not fully
covered in the manuals, such as the Hot Rod or Concept Car?  I was
considering it, as so far I've only built the Convertible.  I'm not sure if
I want to tear it appart to build the Gull Wing Door model.

Here's my issue that I have with these alternate models.  It's not too bad
that they only give you starter instructions and realize that since this is
a high-end model, you must possess skills in order to build this reasonably
quick and with not too much effort.  They at least give you instructions at
their web site, although they're concise.  But, upon considering the
challenge to build the Hot Rod, I began to fork through the remaining pieces
in my box that hadn't been used with the Convertible.

This is where I ran into a problem.  I noticed right away that the Hot Rod
used round 2x2 tiles to make the headlights on the Hot Rod.  So, as I was
digging through my pieces, I couldn't find them and began to ponder where
they had gone.  Missing pieces?  Should I contact Lego?  Ah, they were used
as the dials on the instrument panel.  Rats!!  Now I like Lego, a lot, but
this is what gets me about alternate models.  I've never seen headlights
with "dials" on them.  So, how am I supposed to build the Hot Rod in its
entirety?  Yeah, I could give up the headlights, but that little piece
really gives it a new attitude and appearance, something of a real hot rod.

Am I the only one that noticed this (I doubt it, but was curious)?  And,
maybe it's just me, but I don't feel like ripping up or trying to gently
peel back my stickers to revive these "headlights" as I know my luck that
I'll just be screwing myself and realize it when I hear that fateful
"ripppp..." and know that my precious sticker has just become simple
garbage.

I'm also very picky about sets like these, the ones I've deemed the honored
models in my meager collection (well, not that small, but puny compared to
the Lego giants of our day), and I WILL NOT mix parts in to get the desired
piece; I'm just that way.  A set of this perfection need not be tainted with
lower-class pieces (yeah, it is sick, huh?) and the newest "headlights" I've
got that would go here are the ones that fit on that one $9 Technic dune
buggy thing that was black and yellow and had a single piston that fired
front-to-back behind the seat in the back of the car.  It had a little roll
cage too built of simple half beams and axles.  It's one of the four sets
I've ever owned that had functioning pistons (I've had the Shock Cycle, that
Dune Buggy or Blaster or whatever it is, the Rebel Wrecker, and my beloved
Super Street Sensation), hence the reason I bought it.

Well, anyway, enough ranting.  What ideas have come to mind from similar
users/builders/fanatics/perfectionists to overcome this problem?  Just
wondering what the rest of the supercar world had to say about this.  Thanks
for your time.

Dan