 Technic / 11390
Re: Brickfest '03 Presentation: "Building Big"
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Tue, 14 Oct 2003 20:35:35 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Beat Felber wrote:
It definitely was worth to wait! Thanks for this great piece of work.
I really enjoyed studying it - not only because my Mountaineer is featured.
By watching the pictures and reading your notes your profession becomes
obvious.

Thanks again for letting me feature your new creation. It was quite a surprize
to the crowd when they first saw it. I thought it was a great slide to show at
the beginning so that the audience would understand what I considered "building
big".

I do agree with you in nearly every point when it comes to construction
philosophy. Unfortunately I haven't always followed these principles. This
is why I hardly was able to transport my Mountaineer down to the garden
to take pictures.

Well, any large model presents difficulties when transporting it. There is a
fine balance between a strong structure and using a reasonable amount of parts.
But there are a few smart construction techniques that can help.

With this presentation I also saw your tower crane for the first time
- great work too.

Thanks! I will reveal more about this later. It is a crane I took to Brickfest
this year and is a reincarnation of my previous crane model, the MSG 50.

And something less pleasing, the crash of your MSG 50. Hey, you never
told me that the crane boom fell right onto a Manitowoc ;-)

Also another model that I will post more about when I get a chance to make
webpages. But in short, I forgot to lock the boom in place and it fell over.
User error, plain and simple. Unfortunately Steve Arnold's Manitowoc 888 was
underneath when the MSG 50 fell over :-(

And last but not least - I liked the overall layout of your presentation.
Sometimes you see examples that show how you shouldn't do it, even from
professionals. Your presentation is definitely not one of the last
mentioned!

Thanks!

-TJ