 Technic / 11387
Re: Brickfest '03 Presentation: "Building Big"
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Tue, 14 Oct 2003 18:02:59 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Dennis Bosman wrote:

I like the idea of giving presentations on modelshows. This is unknown in Holland. I don’t now if people will give ‘PowerPoint’ presentations during LEGOWORLD this month, actually I don’t think so when the visitors mostly are parents with their children.

If you can have a period of time at your shows where the model builders are by themselves (no public), then it makes a lot of sense to give presentations and seminars. I attended many other presentations at Brickfest and really enjoyed them. I learned quite a bit.

   It’s very interesting. Your presentation is very clear and attractive too! I see lots of comparisons with my thoughts, that’s not strange to you after your visit at my place I think.

Yes :-) Your models are quite large, and it was a great experience to view them in person. When looking online at your photos, it’s hard to realize that some of them are nearly 2 meters in length! Definitely “big building”!

   Showing examples of how to solve certain construction seems to be very interesting. As my website misses that section, I have some thoughts to set it up as well.

I’d like to inspire people and fellow builders by giving some explainations and tips. I’m often asked for building instructions (and you are too) for my models but I don’t have any. If I did, I’d rather not give them out only because that’s too easy. If someone picks up a few key construction tips and builds a similar model on their own, I think that’s a more rewarding experience for them. Plus, they get better experience and more confidence and will possibly create more great models.

There’s an old saying that I really like: “Give a person a fish and feed them for a day. Teach a person to fish and feed them for a lifetime.”

-TJ