 Technic / 11297
Re: Lego pneumatic systems overview?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Thu, 25 Sep 2003 17:23:47 GMT

Tobbe Arnesson wrote:

> The hoses will pop-off before any damage is done due to preassure. The
preassure
> will also leak out in time so there's no danger there either.

I verified this for myself tonight with three pumps working three
airtanks and two cylinders and yes, one hose did come loose.  Thanks for
the heads up!  This did give me pause for thought though as I know have
to consider whether to build some sort of access control into my model
ideas in case a hose comes off deep within the recesses.

>>2) How strong is the air pressure?  How much weight can a single
>>cylinder move at full pressure?
>

> Depends on the compressor.

I'm pretty disappointed with the combined storage capacity of the three
tanks.  Working together on only two cylinders from max pressure (I
presume... would be nice if there was some sort of meter) resulted in
only seven extensions and retractions.  My hope is to link three to four
cylinders to a single control switch and I don't want to constantly be
pumping things up, especially if I don't have the room to hide or
disguise all three pumps I was using.

re: cylinder gunk

>>Can this be cleaned off or is it just the product of age and
>>deterioration?
>

> Don't know. There was a thread about greasing them a while back
> though: http://news.lugnet.com/technic/?n=11174

Gracias!  Glad to see this!

>>4) Is there a way to use the t-pieces
>>(http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?P=4696b) as tubing extenders?
>>    I haven't seen anything that would act as a plug for the third
>>opening so that air doesn't leak out of the circuit in the process.
>

> As seen in the previous answer, yes. Better yet is to use the hard
> plastic
tube
> that comes with some Technic sets: http://peeron.com/inv/parts/75
>
> And that's actually the second best use of those pieces, the best
> being as
Flex
> System Hose :) I actually sort them into my pneumatic hose-bucket.

Interesting!  I would have thought that the hard tubes would not have
been able to provide a tight enough seal to keep the pressure from
escaping. I'll have to mess around with this...

> http://www.ozbricks.net/cssoh1/
>
> C.S. Soh's Lego page - Where air is power.
>
> Temporarily unavailible due to heavy load at the moment though :(

Bummer!  I'd like to check it out.

> Hope that helps.

Indeed!  Thank you very much!

-Brian Reynolds