Re: Lego pneumatic systems overview?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.lugola, lugnet.technic
Date:
Tue, 23 Sep 2003 08:59:59 GMT

In lugnet.org.us.lugola, Brian Reynolds wrote:
<<snip>>

1) How sturdy are these things?  The whole process revolves around air
pressure so I really want to get a sense of how much danger there is of
overpressure (specifically with the airtank), unreleased pressure over
time, and potential damage / wear and tear over time.

The hoses will pop-off before any damage is done due to preassure. The preassure
will also leak out in time so there's no danger there either.

2) How strong is the air pressure?  How much weight can a single
cylinder move at full pressure?

Depends on the compressor.

3) I have two cylinders
(http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?P=2793c01) but one is brand
new while the other one is used and the used one takes longer to slide
in and out than the new one.  The used one has some sort of gunk on the
tube that appears to be causing extra friction where the new cylinder
doesn't.  Can this be cleaned off or is it just the product of age and
deterioration?

Don't know. There was a thread about greasing them a while back though:
http://news.lugnet.com/technic/?n=11174

4) Is there a way to use the t-pieces
(http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?P=4696b) as tubing extenders?
    I haven't seen anything that would act as a plug for the third
opening so that air doesn't leak out of the circuit in the process.

As seen in the previous answer, yes. Better yet is to use the hard plastic tube
that comes with some Technic sets:
http://peeron.com/inv/parts/75

And that's actually the second best use of those pieces, the best being as Flex
System Hose :) I actually sort them into my pneumatic hose-bucket.

5) I'm not really big into the "Technic look" of Lego building although
I really appreciate learning from the visible enginuity that that
building technique shows off.  Can anyone recommend some particularly
good sites that show off more "beauty models" that also incorporate
pneumatics in them?

http://www.ozbricks.net/cssoh1/

C.S. Soh's Lego page - Where air is power.

Temporarily unavailible due to heavy load at the moment though :(

Hope that helps.

--
Best regards,
/Tobbe