Subject:
Lego pneumatic systems overview?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.lugola, lugnet.technic
Date:
Tue, 23 Sep 2003 07:08:15 GMT

Hey there folks, recently my eyes were opened to the mechanical
possibilities that the Lego pneumatic systems allowed and today I
received my Bricklink order for a couple pumps, pistons, switches,
airtanks, and tubes and have been happily testing out the functions that
immediately pop into my head.  Since I don't have any previous
background with these tools though I'm curious if anyone out there can
give me a bit of a primer about what I can expect from these, so here's
a couple questions right off the bat:

1) How sturdy are these things?  The whole process revolves around air
pressure so I really want to get a sense of how much danger there is of
overpressure (specifically with the airtank), unreleased pressure over
time, and potential damage / wear and tear over time.

2) How strong is the air pressure?  How much weight can a single
cylinder move at full pressure?

3) I have two cylinders
(http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?P=2793c01) but one is brand
new while the other one is used and the used one takes longer to slide
in and out than the new one.  The used one has some sort of gunk on the
tube that appears to be causing extra friction where the new cylinder
doesn't.  Can this be cleaned off or is it just the product of age and
deterioration?

4) Is there a way to use the t-pieces
(http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?P=4696b) as tubing extenders?
    I haven't seen anything that would act as a plug for the third
opening so that air doesn't leak out of the circuit in the process.

5) I'm not really big into the "Technic look" of Lego building although
I really appreciate learning from the visible enginuity that that
building technique shows off.  Can anyone recommend some particularly
good sites that show off more "beauty models" that also incorporate
pneumatics in them?

Thanks so much for your time!

-Brian Reynolds