 Technic / 10979
Re: 8454 question
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Tue, 22 Jul 2003 01:13:55 GMT

In lugnet.technic, David Wegmuller wrote:
In the latest Shop at Home catalog (US version), the description of this new
Technic set (aviation fire truck) says that "This detailed model features a
newly developped steering mechanism".
Does anybody know what this is about? Are any new, special, parts involved?

     I can't say for sure about the parts, but from my experience at Toy Fair,
turning the rear blue strobe causes the second set of wheels to steer, the first
set of wheels to over-steer, and the fourth set of wheels to counter-steer, all
at the same time.  The rear wheel counter-steering is fairly easy to produce
using 90 degree gearing (just put the receiver gear on the opposite side to
reverse the direction of steering), and the front-wheel over-steering is
probably just a matter of using gear reduction from the steering control to the
steering mechanism.

Is it worth buying this set just for the steering system?

     Depends.  If you are really interested in steering systems, it probably is.
Unless you enjoy the challenge of seeing if you can replicate it on your own, in
which case maybe it's not.  I'd think, though, that if you're really into the
older mechanized Technic sets (as compared to the more play-oriented Bionicle
and Racers sets), you should be interested in at least four of the five new
standard Technic sets (and maybe even the forklift).