 Technic / 10533
Re: New Gear Boxes and Motor Systems
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic, lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Mon, 2 Jun 2003 15:24:23 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Øyvind Steinnes wrote:

"Trevyn Watson" <4tee2@rogers.com> wrote in message
Øyvind Steinnes wrote:
1. What is the small grooves beside the axelholes? If you look closly too
all three pieces you will see some small grooves in the casing around the
outside of the axelhole. Looks like a way to attach each of those units
together without using bricks, and that enables the gearboxes to be attached
in a angel to the engine or to each other...

As i was looking at the picutres, I was thinking: "Where have I seen
something lioke that before?". And then I realised:

http://www.peeron.com/inv/parts/41681

The end of that piece looks a lot like the teeth in those new pieces.

I only have piece 41681, and not the piece that it goes with, so maybe
someone who has both could comment?

I don't have any of those pieces, but on #8558-1: Cahdok and Gahdok  I found
this piece
http://www.peeron.com/inv/parts/41679
that look like the counterparts for 41681, but I dont see the use of that
with the new motor...

I was thinking of a tube with this cind of grooves on the outside, and the
axle goes inside without tuching the tube so it can run freely.

Regards
Øyvind Steinnes
http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=Phoenix

I also have the new 4094 Inventor set.
After disassembling the 90 degree gearbox, and comparing the grooves with the
new clicky joints of <http://guide.lugnet.com/set/8558> #8558-1 Cahdok and
Gahdok, here are some observations:

1. The grooves LOOK similar to part <http://www.peeron.com/inv/parts/41681>,
   but are different.  Both have 24 teeth, but the internal diameters are
   different: the motor/gearboxes have an internal diameter of 0.410", while
   part #41681 has an internal diameter of 0.375".

2. <http://www.peeron.com/inv/parts/x278> is designed to snap into part
   <http://www.peeron.com/inv/parts/41681> in set 8558, as well as others.
   Part x278 DOES NOT mesh with the teeth on the new motor/gearboxes (because
   of the friction pin on the end of x278, this can only be verified after
   disassembling the gearbox, as I did)

3. The clicky hinges of set 8558 DO NOT mesh with the new motor/gearbox teeth.
   Part x278 is simply too small (diameter) to mesh with the gearbox teeth.
   The only logical conclusion is that there are new LEGO pieces coming in the
   future that will utilize these new teeth.

4. Part <http://www.peeron.com/inv/parts/41679> is different still, with an
   external diameter of approx 0.315".  Again it has 24 teeth.  Two of these
   parts snap together around the big ring of part x278.

5. The Star Wars AT-TE <http://guide.lugnet.com/set/4482> and new AT-AT
   <http://guide.lugnet.com/set/4483> also use similar clickly hinges in the
   leg joints.  Could these parts mesh with the new motor/gearboxes???
   I don't know, (I don't have either set) but I was under the impression that
   these clicky joints had the same geometry as those found in 8558.

6. BTW, the new clear motor spins at approx. 480 RPM (no load), versus
   approx. 350 RPM (no load) for the standard mindstorms grey motors.
   Measured with the LEGO speed computer.  But as always, expect variability
   between identical motors.

Build well!

John