 Technic / 10529
Re: Reversible pneumatic engine
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Mon, 2 Jun 2003 02:28:59 GMT

  I looked at the Walschaert valve gear.  Wow, that is hard for me to
understand, even with animation.

The key is the link and radius rod.  The link rocks to and fro pivoting at the
center.  The radius rod can slide up or down moving it from one side of the
link's pivot to the other.  This means that the motion is reversed as it passes
through the pivot of the link.  The radius rod stays still at the center.  If
you have found an animation of it working I would certainly be interested in
knowing where.

I found it here:

http://home.new.rr.com/trumpetb/loco/

  With longer tubes, I could have easily hooked the two multiplexers to the same
linkage which will give you forward, stop and reverse.

Yes, I suspected you were making it possible to do that.  That is very exciting
to me.  I also like your solution for a reversing engine which is so varied from
my own.

Thanks for your positive feedback on my engine.  My solution is born out of
computer engineering, not train engineering.  That is why it looks so different
than yours.

I'm sure that if you build one of the multiplexers, you will understand how it
works.

Cheers,
Kevin