 Technic / 10516
Re: Reversible pneumatic engine
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Sun, 1 Jun 2003 04:24:04 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Kevin L. Clague wrote:
Besides bipeds, I also love LEGO pneumatics.

Doug Carlson and I have been trying to work on techniques for making single
piston pneumatic engine with little or no flywheel.  Doug has been having better
luck than I but neither of us have acheived the goal.

In attempt to have a success at something, I decided to work on a project I
thought of on Thursday.  A reversible pneumatic motor.

To my knowledge this is the first reversible pneumatic engine.

Forward:
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/kclague/Computing/p5280040.jpg

Reverse
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/kclague/Computing/p5280041.jpg

The difference between the two is the positioning of the switch handles on the
multiplexers.

PLMKWYT

Kevin

Kevin,
This is truly great!  At the moment I barely understand it at all.  I must build
one.  Reversible valve gears have interested me for some time.  This is not the
first reversible engine.  I will soon upload photos to Brickshelf.  My version
is from '93, I think.  Anyway, my ambition has been to produce something like a
Walschaert valve gear.  The link and radius rod have been impossible to do (so
far).  :-) Another goal of mine has been to build an engine that can be started,
stopped, and reversed, all by using one control or lever.
Best regards,
            Paul