 Technic / 10527
Re: Reversible pneumatic engine
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Mon, 2 Jun 2003 01:04:14 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Kevin L. Clague wrote:
In lugnet.technic, Paul Krieg wrote:
In lugnet.technic, Kevin L. Clague wrote:
Besides bipeds, I also love LEGO pneumatics.

Doug Carlson and I have been trying to work on techniques for making single
piston pneumatic engine with little or no flywheel.  Doug has been having better
luck than I but neither of us have acheived the goal.

In attempt to have a success at something, I decided to work on a project I
thought of on Thursday.  A reversible pneumatic motor.

To my knowledge this is the first reversible pneumatic engine.

Forward:
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/kclague/Computing/p5280040.jpg

Reverse
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/kclague/Computing/p5280041.jpg

The difference between the two is the positioning of the switch handles on the
multiplexers.

PLMKWYT

Kevin

Kevin,
This is truly great!  At the moment I barely understand it at all.  I must build
one.  Reversible valve gears have interested me for some time.  This is not the
first reversible engine.  I will soon upload photos to Brickshelf.  My version
is from '93, I think.  Anyway, my ambition has been to produce something like a
Walschaert valve gear.  The link and radius rod have been impossible to do (so
far).  :-) Another goal of mine has been to build an engine that can be started,
stopped, and reversed, all by using one control or lever.

Hi Paul,

  I look forward to seeing your reversible engine.

It can be seen here at CSSOH'S LEGO PNEUMATICS PAGE by scrolling down a
little...  http://www.ozbricks.net/cssoh1/oldengin.htm#PK%20Opp%20Engine
and here at my Brickshelf gallery which is still under construction and may not
be public yet...  http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=45078
It is based on a very simple reversing gear which can be found on old steam
traction engines and a small live steam model that I own.  Please enjoy the
pictures.
I will be happy to send them and more info email if you choose.

  I looked at the Walschaert valve gear.  Wow, that is hard for me to
understand, even with animation.

The key is the link and radius rod.  The link rocks to and fro pivoting at the
center.  The radius rod can slide up or down moving it from one side of the
link's pivot to the other.  This means that the motion is reversed as it passes
through the pivot of the link.  The radius rod stays still at the center.  If
you have found an animation of it working I would certainly be interested in
knowing where.

  With longer tubes, I could have easily hooked the two multiplexers to the same
linkage which will give you forward, stop and reverse.

Yes, I suspected you were making it possible to do that.  That is very exciting
to me.  I also like your solution for a reversing engine which is so varied from
my own.

Regards

Best regards,
            Paul