 Technic / 10526
Re: Reversible pneumatic engine
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Mon, 2 Jun 2003 00:56:13 GMT

"Kevin L. Clague" wrote:

In lugnet.technic, Paul Krieg wrote:
Kevin,
This is truly great!  At the moment I barely understand it at all.  I must build
one.  Reversible valve gears have interested me for some time.  This is not the
first reversible engine.  I will soon upload photos to Brickshelf.  My version
is from '93, I think.  Anyway, my ambition has been to produce something like a
Walschaert valve gear.  The link and radius rod have been impossible to do (so
far).  :-) Another goal of mine has been to build an engine that can be started,
stopped, and reversed, all by using one control or lever.

Hi Paul,

  I look forward to seeing your reversible engine.

It's here, among Paul's other creations:
http://www.ozbricks.net/cssoh1/oldengin.htm

  I looked at the Walschaert valve gear.  Wow, that is hard for me to
understand, even with animation.

Yes, it's truly marvellous what the old locomotive engineers could do
with just mechanical linkages.

--
C S Soh
http://www.ozbricks.net/cssoh1