 Technic / 10315
    Custom Pneumatic Parts —Gregory Muri
   Hi everyone, I was just curious if anybody had ever tried to make any custom length cylinders that were functional with the Lego pneumatics. I was thinking about it the other day and it seems like it shouldn't be that difficult. Greg (21 years ago, 9-May-03, to lugnet.technic)

        Re: Custom Pneumatic Parts —Tobbe Arnesson
     (...) Hm... If one could find a tube of the same diameter it would be easy to cut the original cylinders and insert some extra length. The stroke would still be limited so the piston needs lenghtening too, that might be harder with the new versions (...) (21 years ago, 13-May-03, to lugnet.technic)

         Re: Custom Pneumatic Parts —Steven Lane
     (...) In lugnet.technic, Tobbe Arnesson writes: (...) Opening the valve releases the oil and whatever force is pressing on the piston forces the oil out and back into the resovoir. The old pnumatic system worked by pumping the air out of the (...) (21 years ago, 13-May-03, to lugnet.technic, lugnet.robotics)

         Re: Custom Pneumatic Parts —Tobbe Arnesson
     (...) So there is no system to "suck" it back in apart from ol' gravity? True they are almost always used to tip lorry beds and rise elevators and such. (...) I know, I'm actually old enough to own a few of them :) Thanks! Best regards, /Tobbe (URL) (...) (21 years ago, 13-May-03, to lugnet.technic, lugnet.robotics)

         Re: Custom Pneumatic Parts —Jennifer Clark
     "Tobbe Arnesson" <StPnAtM@lotek.nu> wrote in message news:HEtrzr.1EBt@lugnet.com... (...) they (...) While some are certainly single acting, double acting versions are available: (URL) are better examples than this kicking around, I found one a (...) (21 years ago, 14-May-03, to lugnet.technic, lugnet.robotics)

         Re: Custom Pneumatic Parts —Tobbe Arnesson
      (...) They need to be more bulky for starters but I think I know how to make one. It would be a nightmare to build one in 1:20 scale that does not leak too much though (at least for me without proper industrial tools). I won't try to explain how (...) (21 years ago, 14-May-03, to lugnet.technic, lugnet.robotics)

         Re: Custom Pneumatic Parts —Irvin Stafford
     (...) Jennifer, Tobbe, Other interested 'Air Heads'; I have used Robart tubing and "T" couplers with the Lego pneumatic cylinders, valves, etc. The tubing is not quite as flexable as the Lego tubing but it works pretty well. The barbed "T"s are a (...) (21 years ago, 14-May-03, to lugnet.technic, lugnet.robotics)

         Re: Custom Pneumatic Parts —Bram Lambrecht
     (...) There might be a problem with stiction...ie, a certain amount of pressure necessary to overcome the internal friction of the rod in the cylinder. For more options and similar prices, see: (URL) might also have stiction problems tho... --Bram (...) (21 years ago, 14-May-03, to lugnet.technic, lugnet.robotics)

        Re: Custom Pneumatic Parts —David Laswell
     (...) It might be more difficult than you'd think. If you try to splice two tubes together you could very easily ruin the integrity of the internal seal (either by creating a bump where it'll catch or a void where it'll lose its seal), causing your (...) (21 years ago, 13-May-03, to lugnet.technic)

         Re: Custom Pneumatic Parts —Gregory Muri
     Actually Dave I was thinking of modifying a cylinder by using the end caps and replacing the tube with a custom length and a rod/piston assembly to match. Replacing the connector on the end of the rod would be easy using a #1 angle connector that (...) (21 years ago, 13-May-03, to lugnet.technic)

        Re: Custom Pneumatic Parts —Bram Lambrecht
   (...) McMaster-Carr and several othe parts suppliers sell pneumatic air cylinders with a variety of strokes...from less than 1" to more than 12". The most suitable ones to LEGO application (AFAIK) that I found in the catalog are made from a wound (...) (21 years ago, 14-May-03, to lugnet.technic)