 Technic / 10296
Re: Make Your Own HiTechnic Style Radio Control?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Thu, 8 May 2003 08:17:42 GMT

I have posted the web page that explains how Radio Control Systems work and how
to modify a radio control servo to drive Lego motors.

The web page is: http://users.adelphia.net/~istafford/lego-radiocontrol.html

There should be a group for this sort of things, alas there is not.

How does the motor behave? I'm no electronics expert but I think I followed
your description.

The best way for a system like this would be:

1) The stick on the transmitter is in it's center position = the LEGO motor is
shut off.

2) The stick is in a extreme postiion = the LEGO motor reveives full power

3) The stick is in the other extreme = the LEGO motor has full power in the
other polarity

4) The stick is between full and center = the LEGO motor has half power.

Since the limitations on voltage with your solution I don't think it's an ideal
one, even if the above is true. I would like some custom made circutry to
connect between the receiver and the motors, this should interpret the signals
and vary the power on the LEGO connectors. Of course it should use an external
LEGO 9V supply (or 18V for the dare devils).

This way, no servos or their internals would have to be used. Just plug in the
custom board to the receiver (preferably five channels), hook up the power
supply and connect the motors.

Perhaps the custom board could have a power out for the receiver to avoid using
an additional battery pack for that.

But until this exists, I think your solutions is the best one.

Best regards,
/Tobbe
http://www.lotek.nu
(remove SPAM when e-mailing)