 Technic / 10303
Re: Make Your Own HiTechnic Style Radio Control?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Fri, 9 May 2003 05:27:38 GMT

There are circuits that do exactly as you suggest.  They are Radio Control
Model Car 'Electronic Speed Controls'(ESC).  Some are designed for forward and
reverse operation.  That is what is needed to get the linear operation
mentioned in your point 4.  The voltage limitation is resolved because most
ESCs can take up to 8 cells (9.8 volts) and they do provide the correct voltage
for the receiver.  The cost of ESCs have dropped and used ones are probably
available.  I have not tried one but I plan to.  I'll let you know how they
work out.

DOH!

Now I'm really embaressed :) Why didn't I think of that? It's so obviuos! And
I've always been the black sheap of the family, prefering RC cars before planes
(never owned a electric one though)...

*sigh*

An example of the kind of ESC that I think will work is sold by Hobby People.
It is their Mtroniks Eco 20.  See it at:
http://hobbypeople.net/gallery/159120.asp

Oh! It's water proof! :)

I have to research this later! I was considering bying micro servos to save
space in my creations but now I can go for ESC's directly - the cost should be
about the same.

A HUGE thanks!

Best regards,
/Tobbe