 Storage / 924
Re: A simple tray system using storage drawers
Newsgroups:
lugnet.storage
Date:
Sun, 20 May 2001 23:49:39 GMT

In lugnet.storage, Larry Pieniazek writes:
Thanks Suzanne!

Very helpful. I snipped it but I have one question. I have found the 5561
and other boxes to be not all that strong. I use a razor to slice the
display window cardboard off so the tape doesn't rip the cardboard and
weaken it, then I use a razor to slice the back of the lid off but I stlll
get deformation.

Did you reinforce these boxes with tape at the corners? As soon as I grasp
one by a single corner, if it has any sort of load, the glue at the bottom
that holds the inner part of the cardboard to the bottom separates and the
box is worthhless. Am I just unlucky? (the ones I was using were 4561s which
are bigger than 5561s)

++Lar

An inexpensive hot glue gun and plenty of glue sticks might solve this problem.
For me, I use hot glue liberally to reinforce boxes when they are
new--sometimes even un-gluing flaps that were glued at the Lego factory.  In
fact, I use so much glue that it always oozes out from under the flaps and
burns my fingers as I hold the flaps while waiting for the glue to set-up.  A
razor blade can be used after the glue is completely dry (20 minutes??) to
clean up the overflow.
In fact, after doing all of this, I often run another small bead of hot glue
along the seam where the flap edge meets the box.

A slight modification of Suzanne's system for those without pull-out storage
drawers:
The large trays can have permanent dividers built into them of various sizes.
I use more hot glue and thin corrugated cardboard (as found in Lego sets with
the reinforcing trays - examples - set 6575 or 7140).  This thin cardboard can
easily be manipulated to create dividers of all sizes.  Cutting notches where
pieces intersect and folded flaps that are hot-glued to the bottom of the tray
is the best, most permanent arrangement.

__Kevin Salm__
....Lego enthusaist for over 20 years....