 Storage / 923
Re: A simple tray system using storage drawers
Newsgroups:
lugnet.storage
Date:
Sun, 20 May 2001 23:20:51 GMT

Larry Pieniazek wrote:

Thanks Suzanne!

Very helpful. I snipped it but I have one question. I have found the 5561
and other boxes to be not all that strong. I use a razor to slice the
display window cardboard off so the tape doesn't rip the cardboard and
weaken it, then I use a razor to slice the back of the lid off but I stlll
get deformation.

Did you reinforce these boxes with tape at the corners? As soon as I grasp
one by a single corner, if it has any sort of load, the glue at the bottom
that holds the inner part of the cardboard to the bottom separates and the
box is worthhless. Am I just unlucky? (the ones I was using were 4561s which
are bigger than 5561s)

I really don't think you're unlucky.

Hmm.. I have noticed that the 5561 Model Team box is exceptional
compared with others I've used. This includes 8277 Giant Model Set (very
bad one), 6097 Night Lord's Castle (pretty bad one), 5988 Pharaoh's
Forbidden Ruins (don't remember) and 6442 Sting Ray Stormer (a pretty
good one). Could it be because it's a Model Team box? All it would take
is more glue on TLC's part - using entire surface area of related faces.
I'll look at that later.

I mercilessly rip off the lids and windows, so I don't think that
maters. I don't tape them in any way.

Could you be holding the box differently than I do? I never have my
thumb inside the box at all, and not directly at the corner. I squeeze
firmly,  straight down on the top/rim just away from the corner, fingers
splayed underneath. I never thought about this until just now. I guess I
do that automatically in fear it'll rip.

I use boxes until they feel flimsy, but they don't usually rip like you
describe unless I've got them full of magazines or other really dense
unrelated stuff.

It's also possible that you're loading your trays more.. is your whole
tray filled with loose elements? I can imagine that doing it. When
there's a bunch of plastic storage drawers lined up in the tray, it
might be strengthening the whole thing. Or maybe your drawers are filled
higher. Actually, I think that's it. When using my trays for LEGO, I
never have them filled as much as they could be, especially when sorting.

This is really interesting. I'll keep an eye out for the possibility of
box age making a difference. TLC could have gotten skimpy. I'm currently
pulling apart our LEGO room, so it's a convenient time to check.

Whatever the case, I'm really glad you said something. I wouldn't want
anyone to have that problem without propper warning.

Now I wonder what other thing out there would make a suitable tray..
Anyone with suggestions - please reply! Solutions could be as strange as
using wire dish strainers.. (?)

-Suz