 Storage / 807
806  |  808
Subject:
Storage and sorting (Theme oriented)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.storage
Date:
Mon, 19 Feb 2001 15:30:41 GMT

My children ages 4, 6 and 8 recently began their LEGO collections, and I am
beginning by collecting one particular theme for myself. At this time they
are interested in the themes and not interchanging the pieces to build new
creations.

Right now each theme has a large rubbermaid container in which all the
unbuilt pieces are dumped into. The built pieces usually sit on top of the
containers if they are small enough or on the living room floor if they are
large. We usually have to dump the whole box out to get particular pieces.

I have started with one of the themes by sorting some of the pieces and
putting them into plastic bags and then putting the bags into the
containers. A bag for mini figs, one for wheels, one for
hats/tools/accessories, one for windshields, one for chains, one for
dinosaurs (for the Dino Island theme), one for the nets.

Seeing pictures of the massive amounts of LEGO which many of you have and
your sorting methods, I am sure that I could be doing something better. Like
many of you have done, I could sort by brick size and type. Though since
they want to maintain each theme separately, I could separate brick size and
type among the themes. Would this work? Any other suggestions?

Thanks!

Gail Olmstead
(aka Gail Storm)