 Storage / 806
Re: Sorting classification
Newsgroups:
lugnet.storage
Date:
Fri, 16 Feb 2001 19:13:23 GMT

In article <G8v1Er.B00@lugnet.com>,
Felipe Coury <fcoury@creation.com.br> wrote:
I am planning to get about 10 more of the one with bigger drawers.

I found that more smaller drawers actually work better than fewer large
drawers of the same volume, for what it's worth. It's quicker to pull open
the drawer of, say, 1x2 tiles and grab one of the right color than it is
to, say, pull open a larger drawer of all sizes of tile and find a 1x2
of the right color, and in many cases, amount of space the drawers
actually take up is the same.

It does, on the other hand, take more time to sort.

1) General Bricks: regular and rectangular bricks. I am sorting by color and
storing each one in different place. Overflow started.

I'd sort by size. Firstly because there's more colors than sizes, and
secondly, it's easier to find a grey 1x2 amongst a pile of 1x2s than it
is to find a grey 1x2 amongst a pile of grey bricks.

A couple 1200 piece tubs later, sort by both color _and_ size.

2) Plates: all kinds of baseplates (even non-rectangular ones). Sort by
color. Some unusual colors (like dark green, purple and such) are stored
commonly. Overflow started.

I'm still not sure how to do this. I've only sort of sorted my plates. Those
may be the exception to the "small bins are usually better" rule.

4) Minifig acessories: all kinds of radios, hats, kaps, guns, etc. All in
one place. Overflow started.

This is how I do mine. Haven't figured out a better way.

-JDF
--
J.D. Forinash                                     ,-.
foxtrot@cc.gatech.edu                            ( <