 Storage / 804
Re: Sorting classification
Newsgroups:
lugnet.storage
Date:
Fri, 16 Feb 2001 17:35:55 GMT

Felipe Coury wrote:

Hi,

I am quite new to LEGO collection (~5 to 6,000pcs) but something started to
bother me. I passed through the sort by color phase.

See this pictures to see the only two containers I have (so far).:

o http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=32977
o http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=32978

I am planning to get about 10 more of the one with bigger drawers.

My point now is how do I group parts. I started with this groups:

The categories really depend on size of collection. What you want to
build and how you build should also factor in.

There are two somewhat conflicting goals in my mind (well several
actually).

- You want stuff you use together to be stored in proximity

- You need to be able to find what you're looking for

Factors which hurt finding what you're looking for:

- Too many similar parts in the same bin.  Usually you will find you
want to sort by type not color. As you get more of a class of parts,
it's often better to sort into finer categories rather than look for a
bigger container.

- You have parts sorted by type, but you're looking for that one pink
brick in a pile of hundreds of bricks. Almost always, I put parts in
rare colors in a separate container from the rest of the parts of that
type.

- So many tubs and bins you have no idea anymore which one contains the
part you want. With a huge collection it's extremely important to have
your tubs, bins, or drawer units having classes of parts which make
sense to you.

--
Frank Filz

Home: mailto:ffilz@mindspring.com